1. What’s the latest on the John Deere strike? The company is doing whatever it can to break the picket lines:
For those keeping track at home, John Deere has now:
– Refused to settle a fair contract
– Announced they’re cutting healthcare for 10,000 strikers and families
– Withheld untold $$$ of back wages for strikers
– Gotten a bogus injunction against workers’ right to picket
— Jonah Furman (@JonahFurman) October 21, 2021
If you want to help the workers on strike–who have no wages, no healthcare, and clearly no hope John Deere is going to work towards a resolution–this Go Fund Me is active again (it raised so much money in its first 24 hours, organizers briefly closed it to consult with UAW about the best use of funds). Hold the line!
2. This is just fun to look at: Flower interpretations of works of art (via Laura Olin’s newsletter).
3. And finally, this was fascinating and really humane (and I learned about ancient “sky burials,” which sound awesome). To Be a Field of Poppies: The elegant science of turning cadavers into compost